Search This Blog

Thursday 21 August 2014

Finally! Finally! Finally!

Cruz is finally in heat. We have been waiting (im)patiently since June for her. Her last heat was in January so normally June would have been the month. However, in March, she had a false heat lasting 3 days. A regular heat lasts 21!  Usually a false heat will not put them off their schedule. Unfortunately this one did.  The good news is it's finally here!  That means she will be bred in a couple of weeks. I am debating on breeding her to Merlin instead of Vedor. Only because they have proven to be a good breeding pair. Vedor has never been a sire. I'm not sure I want to take the chance on an untried sire.   I'm still debating. I have a few weeks to decide.

Yay!  She's finally in heat!


1 comment:

  1. YAY! Finally! I was wondering why we didn't know anything yet!! Cruz was just taking her sweet time... LOL

    As far as the breeding goes, obviously I'm no expert but the way I see it is this: Vedor will always be an 'untried sire' until you bite the bullet and use him! All of your males were untried at some point, and someone (you, or maybe if they had belonged to someone else previously) had to take that chance at some point. I understand being reluctant, given how long it's taken for this next litter, so you want to use Merlin because you already know they work together. Perfectly understandable. But you will have to take the chance with Vedor eventually... He deserves a chance to prove himself. You just need to decide if you want to put it off longer and have this same unsurety the next time you plan to use him, or stick with your initial instinct months ago and give him his first shot! You must have had a reason for choosing him in the first place! Go over what those reasons were, and see if they still apply.
    I think that will help you decide.

    -Julie F.

    ReplyDelete