Search This Blog

Thursday 22 August 2013

Almost a Week Old!

I can't believe that the puppies are almost a week old!  It's been extremely busy since they arrived.  Feeding Mr. Yellow every two hours 24 hours a day has taken it's toll on me.  And despite my best efforts, Mr Yellow did not make it.  I believe I should do the best I can do but I won't pull out all the stops to save a puppy that will not have a good life.  This is what makes being a breeder so difficult.  I become very attached to the pups who need a little more TLC to get going.  Mr. Yellow was one of those pups.  He fought and fought and as long as he wanted to live, I was going to help him.  But yesterday the light in his eyes had faded and I knew he had given up.  Despite that, I continued to feed him until he no longer had the strength.  At that point, I made him as comfortable as possible and waited for the inevitable.  I cry like a baby for every life that dies in my arms.  I will never get used to that.  And if I do, that's when I should no longer be a breeder.

The first puppy arrived at 10:30AM and the last arrived at 5:00AM.  That makes for a very long day and night.  We  have 7 males and 1 female.  There are 4 sables and 5 blacks.  They are averaging about a 25-50 gram weight increase daily.  Their weights range from 386 grams to 692 grams.  A larger than normal range.  We have Mr.(s) Red, Blue, Light Blue, White, Light Green, Navy Blue, Dark Green and Miss Pink.  Pictures to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment