Search This Blog

Monday 22 August 2011

My Dogs & Kids

I'm often asked how my dogs are with kids.  In a nutshell, they're great!  They are also great with little furry animals, reptiles and birds.  However, they must be taught at an early age that these kids and critters are there to protect, not to be used as play toys.  My dogs are bred with high prey drives.  That means they have been bred, generation after generation, to chase things.  We've been breeding that into European German Shepherds since  Captain Max von Stephanitz registered the first German Shepherd in 1899.  "Shepherds"... "German Shepherds".  Literally. 

It is very simple to teach a young GSD that children and small animals are part of the family, or pack.  Consistent rules, along with love and affection is all that's needed.  With an older German Shepherd, it is a little more complicated but certainly doable. 

I've posted a short video of Mystique to show how wonderful Guardian Angel Shepherds are.  Mystique is approximately 18 months old.  She had the unfortunate circumstance of being born shortly after I got sick.  I was unable to leave the couch, let alone socialize her as I normally would.  She has seen my Grandchildren occasionally, from a distance, but never up close and personal.  Until a few days ago.  Here is how she reacted to the strange noises and movements a 3 year old can make.




I'm so proud of her.  She followed him everywhere.  When he ran, she followed, but did not chase.  When he screamed in delight, she looked at him quizzically.  When he hugged her, she stood like a trooper.  I'm proud of her, and all my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment