Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Learning this thing they call "tracking"

I took Cruise and Merlin tracking again yesterday.  Merlin's tracks continue to get better on a weekly basis.  Cruise, however, is having a harder time of it.  I'm having a hard time getting her motivated.  She is unlike any Guardian Angel Shepherd I've had before.  Her laid back "come what may" attitude towards life makes her extremely easy to handle and to live with in general.  But, that's also what is giving me a hard time in trying to get her excited about tracking.  Merlin will eat just about anything you give him.  I've used hot dogs, rollover, cheese, meat, chicken jerky, etc.  All were gobbled up during Merlin's track.  Well Cruise, she's a different dog altogether.  She wanders around the track, sometimes going the right way, sometimes going the opposite.  She just can't figure out what the excitement is!  She's a wonderful dog, don't get me wrong!  I love her to pieces!  I'll just have to keep trying new ways to get her motivated!  So what kind of treats do you use for your dog?  Have any good ideas?  My friend that I track with said his dog loved dried liver.  He said "It's like crack for dogs!"  Unfortunately not my dog 8-(  So?  Any good treat ideas out there?

5 comments:

  1. Plato is very much the same way! He is just not treat or food motivated at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Zukes Hip Action Peanut Butter flavor or PetKind Tripe Treats green beef tripe?
    My GSD also LOVES (will 'steal' them) Winnies Cookies for horses but they have a lot of fibre so only tiny pieces can be used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mary Ann, not sure if you'll remember me (Danielle) and Lexi (blue heeler) from a couple of your obedience classes. Glad you are doing better! I kept checking you site to see if you were okay:)

    Anyway, I was going to suggest something that Lexi loves and might be worth a try with Cruise. One can of sardines in oil and 3 eggs. Blend and spread onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Tadaa! Smelly but treats that drive my dog crazy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember you Danielle! How's Lexi doing these days? She' a good dog but I remember she had that independent streak! Wow! Sardines & eggs!! I would never have guessed that one. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Take care & give Lexi a pat for me. And thanks for worrying about me. I'm doing much better now & plan on trying to get back as much of my old life as possible. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,

    I'm thinking that the peanut butter flavoured treats probably won't work but I'll look for the Tripe treats. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete